Sunday, October 23, 2011

What a Sunday!

Today we went to church in Mathare slum. I didn't end up preaching...which was fine with me :) They only needed two preachers so Ron and Jim were the guest preachers. I went with Ron and our host Gus to a small newer church. They met in a metal shanty that they had to expand a few months ago because of growth. There were about about 50 people there (that includes kids...lots of kids). The service was long...not because of Ron's preaching :) Oh there was also a baby dedication at the end, and Ron had the honors of praying for each child as they came up. Then they bought us cokes after wards and we sat to chat a bit.

We all met back together and went to lunch with the LIA host and some of the pastors. We were on a hunt for roasted goat (because Andrea said it was her favorite). We found a place that was a bar that had people roasting goat. They brought about a fourth of a goat to our table and some posho to go with it (that's cornmeal) all served to us on a cutting board in the middle of the table. As I recall the meal a few things stand out to me...I am not a big meat eater so the amount of meat right on the bone was a bit much for me. And the number of flies made me a bit crazy. The company was great until the restaurant filled with men there to watch the soccer game and they got excited. Then we took the pastors back home and headed to the market. What a Sunday...church, food and football (soccer). :)

Now we are back a the guest house and I'm tired! It's been a long couple of days...but very GOOD!

We are leaving for S. Sudan at 5am tomorrow (monday) so I better get packed and get some sleep. Pray for Ron he has a cold and Jim got a cut on his ear. Pray for us all to have wisdom as we look at these projects. We won't get to have internet again until Friday.
Thanks for praying!

No comments:

Post a Comment